Skip to main content

How do I get a final restraining order against me dropped, If I live in a different state, from which it was ordered?

Skaneateles, NY |

About 6/7 yrs ago, my ex had me arrested by NJ state Police. She filed a complaint against me for "threatening her life" . I held my ground that I was innocent. The state Police did not file charges against me. Now I had to go to 2 seperate courts for the matter. Salem County Superior Court, and Pilesgrove Municipal. The Salem County judge ordered a restraining order against me (even though I was the one telling the truth!) I am not allowed to posess any firearms or purchaser ID cards. The Pilesgrove complaint was dismissed due to nither my ex, or the state trooper appearing. I pleaded NOT GUILTY! I DO NOT live in NJ anymore, nor do I know the where abouts of my ex. I have completed Domestic Violence,Drug and Alchohol,and other classes. I would like to know how to have this order dropped

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Contact a criminal defense lawyer or a family law attorney where the order was issued and discuss the case with him.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


I suggest you re-post your question in the New Jersey Avvo section.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The order should have been vacated when the case was dismissed for lack of evidence. Consult with a NJ attorney about checking the records and vacating the order if is wasn't done.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer