Skip to main content

How do I get a dna test ordered on my daughters cousin's husband to prove he is not the father of her baby?

Katy, TX |

My daughter allowed her cousin's husband to sign the birth certificate stating he was the father so she could allow her cousin and her husband to adopt the baby two years ago. I would like custody or at a minimum visitation with the baby without her cousin having to be present. How do I go about establishing he is not the father and proving paternity fraud?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Go see an experienced family law attorney in your area. There are several excellent family law attorneys in the Katy area. I don't know if you will be able to do so if the child has been legally adopted but it's worth a consultation with an attorney to find out.

Fran Brochstein has over 20 years legal experience & enjoys educating the public about Texas laws. She is a full-time family law mediator in the Houston area. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a personal consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific legal problem. You can contact her at 713-805-9591 - 7 days a week - her personal cell phone.



Is there a way to find out if her cousin actually adopted her? I know there wouldn't be a need for her husband to adopt her since he signed an AOP declaring he is the father.

Fran Brochstein

Fran Brochstein


Take everything you've got to an attorney & see if the attorney can look at the court's file. There is no way for me to give you legal advice without sitting down with you in person and actually looking at the legal paperwork. If there was a legal adoption in Harris County, the court probably "sealed" the adoption records and you cannot access the file. Not even an attorney can access the file. You might have waited too long for your grandparent rights. YOU NEED TO MEET WITH AN ATTORNEY IN PERSON & SEE IF YOU HAVE ANY GRANDPARENT RIGHTS!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer