Skip to main content

How do I get a divorce?

North Highlands, CA |

I have not see nor heard from my spouse in over 12 years we have no children nor anything else together. I have filed for a divorce many years ago but I went to check on it and they told me it went into dead file meaning nothing was done. I want a divorce asap but don't know how to go about it nor do I have the money.

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 1


You refile your petition and related papers and have them served on your husband. Yes I know you don't know where he is so have them served on him at his last known address. If that doesn't work because no one at that address knows him you can ask the Court to order alternative forms of service, like service by publication in a newspaper. Once he's served and doesn't respond you take his default and the hard part is over.