Skip to main content

How do i get a copy of my final divorce papers?

Buffalo, NY |

My ex lives in pa. and i live in ny . I called to get a copy of my divorce papers but they said i have to go down there in person . Is there a way to get a copy through the mail or on line?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 3


If you are talking about the courts in NY, no. You will have to send someone in person to copy the file or any of its contents. There are services for this and they will know exactly what is required by the particular court in terms of authorization, ID, etc. You can try contacting the court clerk and ask for the name of one of the services that they see there all the time. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


I suspect you need a certified copy of your Findings of Fact/Conclusions of Law and Judgment of Divorce for whatever purpose.

No one can get that but you or your lawyer (and adversary and his lawyer). Go to your Supreme Court's clerk's office and pull a docket sheet from the indexing department. Go to the certifications window and they'll print up these documents and stamp them. Then go to the cashier where you'll pay something like twenty five cents per page and you're done.

Divorce files are confidential so others cannot access them and pull documents from them.

By the way, Plaintiff is supposed to pull those papers and file a notice of entry and provide to Defendant that notice and the papers. Someone seriously dropped the ball.


In addition to the suggestions you have already received, you may want to contact the lawyer who represented you in your divorce. Depending on how much time has passed, your attorney may still have a copy of the judgment in his or her file.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown


As always, the highest regard should be given to the information provided by your local attorneys.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer