Skip to main content

How do i get a continuance for my deposition?...I cannot afford a lawyer and it is scheduled for this friday...

La Jolla, CA |

I have been advised to have a lawyer at my deposition but i cannot afford one...but to ask for a continuance... how do i do that?...

+ Read More

Filed under: Motions
Attorney answers 1


Without more information regarding the case, it is impossible to give better advice but typically, you just need to call the attorneys involved and tell them you can't make it and agree to reschedule..

Good luck

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

Mark Steven Eisenberg

Mark Steven Eisenberg


I agree with Mr. Schaeffer, with the following addition: both State and local rules of civil procedure require litigants and their attorneys to afford all reasonable courtesies in the course of discovery, particularly regarding the scheduling of depositions, discovery response deadlines, etc. Your request for a continuance, especially if it's a first request, should be granted routinely by opposing counsel.