Skip to main content

How do I fulfill probation on a 6 year old DUI?

Westminster, CO |

I have probabtion on a DUI from 6 years ago that I never finished. I completed my Community service, scram, home detention and therapy but I had a few classes and fines left when I lost my job. I've been afraid to approach this ever since. I found out that I have a warrant and I am going to get a bond to clear it for a hearing but I'm afraid of what to expect. If I am facing jail time I will lose the job that I have now. I went a long time without work and I'm quite frankly terrified. What should I do and what should I expect?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You really need a lawyer.


You definitely need to hire an attorney. Completing the UPS, home detention, and scram is all fine and good. However, not completing the alcohol treatment and not taking responsibility and accountability for all of these years will really put you in hot water with the Court. As a former judge, I always told defendant that probation was indeed a privilege and that the purpose of the alcohol classes was not to punish you, but to give you the tools necessary to avoid problems with alcohol later in life and avoid a repeat offense. To a large extent, it is a slap in the face of the judge that sentenced you, as well as the probation department that you have neglected this for so long. Any judge would have understood the problems with you losing your job and have given you an extension and cut you some slack. In all likelihood, the judge held a full year of jail over your head as a "suspended sentence" to make sure that you did treatment. Depending on how ticked off the judge is, you are looking at up to a year of jail for not completing probation.

The best advice is to quickly hire an attorney and get back into alcohol treatment ASAP. Then, you and your attorney can work out having you turn yourself in to the Court (always viewed much more favorably by judges than you getting picked up on the warrant). You do have good reason to be terrified. However, what is in the past you can not reverse. What you have to concentrate on now is getting into treatment. I would suggest doing an even more intensive or extensive alcohol treatment program than what you were originally ordered to do to make up for the long lag in not doing treatment. Although you can not change the past, you do have control over the present and your future. If you continue to do nothing, what reason does the judge have to show you any mercy? You need to concentrate on doing as much as possible RIGHT NOW as mitigation to have something positive to show the judge - whether a short-term inpatient program, an intensive outpatient program (they might not accept you), or a longer period of therapy. Given the lapse of time since you last alcohol therapy, most treatment centers are going to make you start over from scratch again.

As a former judge, I can just tell you that the longer that you let this go without addressing it, the more likely you are simply tying the noose tighter for yourself and really giving the judge no other alternative than to punish you with considerable jail time.

I understand your situation and definitely feel bad for you. But you need to get working on this now. Best of luck.

John Lawrence Buckley

John Lawrence Buckley


You should take Chris' advice. Call a lawyer. Call him! He's well suited to help you!


I would recommend having an attorney handle this matter for you to try to mitigate any potential consequences and get you back in the alcohol program to finish up your probation requirements.

Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.


As has been stated repeatedly, you need an attorney. More specifically you need an attorney who practices this type of law and focuses on these issues every single day. Before you post bond and attempt to get the warrant quashed you should speak with a DUI attorney who handles Probation revocation cases. There are things you can and should be doing before you attempt to clear this issue with the Court.

The more prepared you are and the more you have completed, the better. Feel free to call my office to discuss this and we can walk you through what our advisement is for people in your type of situation.

My decision to answer your question does not construe an attorney client relationship. My opinion is based on the facts you have provided. Before making any decisions, you should always consult directly with an experience attorney, either in person or via phone.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer