Skip to main content

How do I findout if I had straight or deferred probation 20 yrs ago

Houston, TX |

iam trying to findout if I can get my felony for burglary of a motor vehicle dropped or reduced

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Go to the court where the case was held and ask for a copy of the docket or judgment.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Go to district clerks office in the county where the you were prosecuted and ask for a copy of the judgment And sentencIng order. It will have language explaining the sentencing.


The clerk of the court - for a felony that would be the "district clerk" - keeps files on criminal cases pretty much forever.

My suggestion is that you go to the clerk's office and ask to see the file. It should have the court's judgment in it. Buy a copy of the judgement. Should only cost a few dollars. Take that to a reputable criminal defense lawyer and ask what it means.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.