Skip to main content

How do I find out when I can remove the interlock device from my auto

Chelsea, MA |
Attorney answers 7


It should be in the court order that was part of your sentence or plea, or ask your probation officer.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.


The court doesnt have anything to do with the interlock device. The RMV is where I would start. Contact a hearings officer at your local branch and they will tell you the procedure.

Attorney Michael H. Erlich Eden, Rafferty, Tetreau & Erlich 238 Shrewsbury Street Worcester, MA 01604 Office: 508.791.9001 Cell. 508.769-7995 Fax: 508.795.1811


It depends on why the requirement was imposed. If it was by DMV, call them to inquire. If it was the court, review your terms of probation. If both, then whichever is longer. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen


Contact the licensing agency for the exact time requirements. They will know better. Good luck.


If you have gotten a hardship license after a subsequent DUI then the ignition interlock is required for at least the period of the hardship license. Contact the RMV for further clarification.

This is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You will be required to have the Ignition Interlock for the duration of any hardship license, plus two years on and after on a regular license pursuant to Chapter 90, Section 24 1/2.

Best of Luck.

Joe Higgins

306 Washington Street
Norwell, MA 02061
(508) 930 4273

***DUI, DWI, OUI and any other information in this response should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship.


Proper removal of the ignition interlock device depends upon who ordered you to have it installed. If the ignition interlock was ordered by the criminal court as part of your sentencing, then you should obtain a copy of the docket sheet in your criminal case from the clerk's office and bring that to your lawyer. If the ignition interlock device was placed in your motor vehicle for a hardship license, then it may be properly removed by your interlock provider upon completion of your original period of suspension plus 2 years.