Skip to main content

How do I find out if my home daycare provider carried insurance? She said she did not have it, but I am pretty sure she does.

Sarasota, FL |

We found out that she was abusing our children while they were in her care and want to sue her for at least the money we paid her. Is there a way to find out the information, even if she does not disclose it herself?

+ Read More

Filed under: Child abuse
Attorney answers 3


Consult with the licensing board. If there were issues of abuse/neglect, you should also file a report.


I am so sorry to hear about your children. If she was licensed or unlicensed then you need to contact the licensing board and report this ASAP– use the link provided by Attorney Farley. Have you called the police yet? If not, then do so. Lastly, you should also talk with a local personal injury attorney. Most offer free initial consultations.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


File a report with the police and local licensing board. If your children need therapy to cope with the abuse get your children help. Consult with a PI attorney. They usually work on a contingency fee basis,meaning you don't pay any attorney's fees. The attorney is paid a portion of any recovery. The attorney will be able to discover if there is insurance coverage. I am sorry that your family had to experience this horrendous behavior.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, a general purpose response based on Florida law is provided. All relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter is not available. Therefore, I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, the review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Karen Munzer, PLLC,, E-Mail: , Tel: (786) 501-6655