Skip to main content

How do I find out if I have assault charges pending against me?

Minneapolis, MN |
Attorney answers 4


One way to find out is to call the police department where the assault is alleged to have happened. The police may not tell you anything, but instead say the incident is "under investigation." You can also call the local county attorney or city attorney to see if they have pending charges against you. You can also hire a lawyer who may be able to obtain more information than a police officer or prosecutor would give to a suspect.
Be aware that you should not make any statements regarding your involvement or try to explain you side of the story without talking to a lawyer first. Often when people call the police or a prosecutor they make statements that will end up being used against them in court. It is best to either wait for formal charges to be filed and served on you or to hire a lawyer to find out on your behalf.

This answer is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. You need to speak to a lawyer to discuss your specific legal situation and to receive legal advice.


If they are pending, you will get a ticket or complaint in the mail very soon. What you are really asking is whether or not they have contacted the police to file a report. That would be hard to find out, as it would be protected by the data practices act and not subject to release.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.


It is difficult. If a formal complaint or ticket has not been generated or filed, the prosecution or police will likely not tell you. However, if a formal complaint has been filed, or a ticket generated, the police, prosecutor, and court will ordinarily tell you.

Best of luck!

This information is being provided as a courtesy to assist you in seeking representation. It should not be construed as legal advice or to create the relationship of attorney and client.


A person claiming to have been criminally assaulted, cannot file a criminal charge but can make their allegation to police or a prosecutor's office, which can possibly then file a criminal charge with the court. Once a criminal Complaint or Indictment has been filed with the court, it is relatively easy to find out about it. The defendant is generally either sent a Summons with a court date, or Law Enforcement Officers come with an arrest warrant. To find out whether a person is being investigated by police, or whether a prosecutor's office is considering charging (in other words, before any criminal charge has been filed with the court); may be difficult. The attempt to find out is often risky with little benefit to the potential accused. In more serious cases, some retain a lawyer to help protect them during the investigation stage.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer