Skip to main content

How do I find out if I am the beneficiary of my father's property he died in December and I am his only child he was not married

Traverse City, MI |

my father on any rental properties and equipment & vehicles he was divorce from his wife but they live together but I am his only son-and I'm not being told anything

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

You need to know at least two things: 1) How your father's assets were titled, (which you can probably check online, in some cases); and 2) whether or not your father left any estate planning. The easiest thing to do would be to ask your father's ex. If you cannot do that, I would try to do a little digging or have an attorney help you to do so. If there are assets in your father's name alone, probate will likely be needed. When that happens, you would be entitled to notice, even if there is a Will or Trust that excludes you.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!



how would i go about looking for titles with his name?

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick


Check the register of deeds website for your county. If they do not let you search online, go to their office and get a copy of any deeds in your father's name. They will charge something like a $1 or 2 for each copy. That will give you a start and an idea of how he held title to at least some of his major assets.


I agree with Mr. Frederick. You should have some idea of at least some of your Fr.'s assets. If you look online, you may learn the assets are still in his name or that he has transferred them into the name of someone else. You can use what you learn online to help you with other searches. The lawyer may be of some assistance.
Best of luck.

I am licensed to practice law in Michigan and Virginia and regularly handle cases of this sort. My answering your question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should consult a lawyer so you can tell the lawyer the entire situation and get legal advice that is precisely tailored to your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer