Skip to main content

How do I find out if I am divorced? I have not had any contact from my spouse in 40 years and I want to remarry.

Washington, DC |

I was married in Puerto Rico to a military person I left and have not contacted him since. Not sure if he has ever filed for divorce.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you have any contact information for your spouse, you should contact him or her and find out if he or she ever filed for divorce, if so where and then get a copy of the divorce decree. If you do not have any way to reach him or her then it will be much more difficult. There is no central registry. Accordingly, you would need to ascertain the places where your spouse has lived over the past 40 years and check with each court that would have had jurisdiction to determine if a divorce decree was ever entered. That being said, iIt is likely that you are not divorced as you would know if you were served with divorce papers. I

Please be advised that any information or advice given herein does not constitute an attorney client relationship. Further, before taking any actions or deciding not to take any actions, you should seek counsel of an attorney. This forum cannot provide you with the anyalysis and detail necessary for a full and accurate opinion to be rendered.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer