Skip to main content

How do I find out how many lawsuits a person has previously filed?

North Hollywood, CA |

We have a person who lives in our condo community that is somewhat sue happy "Slip and falls." Is there a way to find out how many lawsuits this person has filed in the past?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You can run a public records search through Westlaw or LexisNexis. If you don't have a subscription to either of these services, you will need to contact Westlaw or LexisNexis and pay a fee. Alternatively, if you want to try to obtain this information without incurring a fee, go to Los Angeles Superior Court website and ask the website to search for cases involving that individual. You can search the database by case number or by party name. You can also tell the database to look within certain time periods - e.g., 2012 or 2010 or some other time period.

This response is for information purpose only and does not constitute a legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.


I use Lexis to find them, but you may be able to pay them for a search, or find a lawyer in your state who can search it for you.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755

Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Kevin Samuel Sullivan


in addition to everything above, a lawyer if a lawsuit arose would ask them for prior claims and lawsuits.


In addition to Attorney Lee's suggestions, you can also find a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association who knows how to use the "Searchable Civil Register". The LA County Bar Association makes its Searchable Civil Register available free to its members who are sole practitioners and to firms whose lawyers are all members. It is a very powerful tool:

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.


Most counties have an online listing of all court cases-- many are searchable by name.

Chuck Geerhart


Go to the local Los Angeles Superior Court courthouse. In the clerk's office, you will find a computer that provides public access to this type of information. From North Hollywood, you can use Van Nuys, Burbank or Glendale. Input the person's name and the computer system will provide the names and case numbers. Be careful not to confuse the name of the person you are interested in versus other people with similar or identical names. This is great free starting place.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer