Skip to main content

How do I find an appeal lawyer for a murder case?

Ames, IA |

More than twenty years ago a teenage male was involved in a shooting in Milwaukee, WI in which several members of his gang were exchanging gunfire with several members of another gang, and a member of the other gang was killed. The youth was sentenced to life in prison even though this was his first time ever being arrested and even though it was not clear that he fired the fatal bullet. What is a good way for me to proceed in finding an appeal attorney for this prisoner?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


First of all you will need a complete transcript and copies of all depositions and other relevant documents such as police reports and witness statements. Everything has to be gone over. This was 20 years ago, but there is a recent US Supreme Court case which might have a bearing on this case. That is a huge might. The basic ruling was that juvenile homicide offenders cannot automatically be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.


You could use Avvo's Find a Lawyer tool to browse appellate attorneys specializing in criminal law in your area. You could also contact your local bar association for referrals.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


It'd be a good idea to start with the criminal defense attorneys in your area and ask around to see who does a lot of post-conviction litigation. You're not necessarily looking for an "appeals" attorney to help -- you need one who understands post-conviction litigation.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: No attorney client privilege is established by receiving an answer to your question on Avvo. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to visit my Avvo profile or website to set up an appointment to talk more about your issue. As required by Rule 7.2(e), Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct, no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.


This looks like a homework question. A Wisconsin stale murder case asked in Ames, Iowa.

Can you clarify why you are asking this question about a Wisconsin "prisoner?"

The comments listed here are of a general nature and should not be understood to create a formal attorney-client relationship -- that is, I am not, and I cannot give you legal advice here. I am licensed in Iowa and to become your attorney, I need to understand the particular facts and circumstances of your legal question and, in all likelihood, need to either meet with you personally or in a fairly detailed conference call.