Skip to main content

How do i find a will of a long lost relative?

Houston, TX |

my husband and i recently found out that his estranged father died in 2000. his mother (my husband's grandmother) supposedly wrote my husband into her will and he would be entitled to his share upon his father's death. we know little about her. they have been estranged for about 30 years. from what weknow, she died in oklahoma and we live in texas. how do we find out what her will said and what he is entitled to without hiring an lawyer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Just out of curiosity, why would you want anything from a person that neither you or your husband knew. The best gifts in live are those that are enjoyed while the person is alive. Good life to you and your husband, and may God bless you.


These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

You could contact the county clerk where the man died and request a copy of the will. If the estate was probated, the will must be on file.


The following posting is provided for educational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship between us.

I typically advise clients to call the court clerks of the court that handles probate matters in the county or counties in which a decedent died or owned real property. These clerks are a great resource for learning whether a will has been offered for probate. If it has, you can order for review.

If the will has not been filed for probate in the relevant probate court, then you may have your work cut out for you with whomever was responsible for maintaining the decedent's important documents (i.e., her Will).

Good luck,