Skip to main content

How do I find a lawyer willing to work with me am on a budget. Husband left marital home to be with girlfriend. Have 2 children.

Roanoke, VA |

My husband and I have been married almost a 18years. We have two children and a house. He decided on 4/5/13 to leave the house, his marriage, and his 2 children to pursue a relationship with another woman that has been going on for approximately 1 year. I would like to file for divorce and make sure that my children are taken care of.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are several approaches you can take. However, the costs may be quite high depending upon the circumstances. I think you need to decide if you want to file on grounds of adultery/desertion or if you want it to be uncontested. Unless your husband has significant assets that he took with him (which can be used to pay your attorney fees in a contested divorce), you may want to consider divorcing based upon separation of over one year.

In the meantime, you can file in Juvenile and Domestic court for spousal support, child support, and other support issues.

Many attorneys will offer free or low cost initial meetings. Seek out counsel in your area to determine which approach may be best for you to take.

Please note that this response is based upon the limited information available in the question. In addition, it is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship and is offered only as general information and not as legal advice.