Skip to main content

How do I file for separation in Massachusetts?

Hull, MA |

I wnat to file for separation but my husband and I may still need to live in the same house for financial reasons. Can this be done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can file for divorce. If both parties can agree on each and every term of their divorce, including asset and property division, debt division, child custody and issues of support, the parties may file an uncontested separation agreement with the court.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office if you would like to schedule an appointment. My Firm charges a simple flat fee for uncontested divorces.


You can file for separation and continue to live together in the same house. However, a legal separation is not a step toward a divorce, but rather an alternative if your goal is not to get divorced. If you are planning on a divorce, it make more sense just to file for divorce now - and, yes, you may continue to live together while that is going on.


There is no such thing as Legal Separation here in Massachusetts. You can obtain a divorce and continue to live together or you can file for something called Separate Support.


It can be done.

The two of you can make any reasonable accommodation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer