Skip to main content

How do I file for emergency custody in Las Vegas, are there any pro bono programs that will help me.

Las Vegas, NV |

my wife and I split in Januaray, I had the child until I lost my job and came to vegas in search of work. My mother had her when I left. My wife signed an agreement giving me temp custody until she can provide, also giving my mom guardianship while I am getting settled. she then took my child and went into hiding claiming that she is not biologically mine, I am on the Birth Certificate. Now I have word from a whitness that she is abusing the child by beating her. without a court order the sheriff in louisiana will not enforce our agreement. Theres also rumor of drug and alcohol abuse involved in the home she is at. we have not gone to court nor filed any custody agreement, unless she did so without notifying me after the took her

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should attempt to contact legal aid in your county and see what type of assistance they can offer to you.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Of course, your best option is to consult with a local attorney immediately. The attorney will be able to take quick and decisive action on your behalf and may even be able to get the authorities in LA to cooperate pending an order from the NV court. You should be able to find an attorney who can help you even if you need to make a payment plan of some sort. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. If you absolutely cannot get help from a local attorney, then try going to your local family court and try to file a custody petition (they may tell you no, but try). If that fails, then you will have to travel to LA and seek help from the family court there based upon your "residence" at your mother's and the signed agreement giving you custody. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


There is nothing in your summary that indicates the child has lived in Nevada. If that is true, then you cannot file here and it serves no purpose for you to seek counsel here. You need to file where the child resides. If your mom has legal guardianship, then she has an order that can be enforced to pick up the child. If your mom has only a piece of paper giving her temp guardianship, then your wife is within her rights to pick up the child. You need to seek counsel immediately with a family law attorney in Louisiana, if that is where the child has been the past 6 months. You can call Child Protective Services if you believe the child is in danger.



I'm a little say she's in hiding yet you have a witness saying she beats the child...wouldn't the witness know where she is if they've seen her beating the child? Also, wouldn't wherever the rumor of drugs and alcohol comes from know? Why don't you just go get the child if there's no custody papers?