Skip to main content

How do I file for emergency alimony? My husband of 26 years was sole provider.

Savannah, GA |

He was charged with domestic abuse and ordered not to come back in our town or he would be arrested, he lives with our daughter in another county. I have no money and don't know how to pay for a lawyer. We own a home together and I can't make the bills so our daughter and her husband lives there. I am at 50 years old having to stay with my mom. I do not have a car or I would get a job.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your chances of accomplishing anything without a lawyer are near zero. Bear in mind that even if you seek temporary alimony,. hearings don't happen right away.

If you can't afford counsel, contact Georgia Legal Services Program
Savannah Regional Office
6602 Abercorn Street
Suite 203
Savannah, Georgia 31405

(912) 651-2180 or

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


A few attorneys are able to take a case without an initial retainer. They can often take your case and get it set for a temporary hearing quickly in order to get you some alimony and their attorneys fees. I would recommend calling around to a few attorneys in Savannah.

This post does not create an attorney client relationship. This attorney is only licensed in Georgia.