Skip to main content

How do i file for anandoment if i dont know where the father is for over a year now?

Syracuse, NY |

Over a year ago my daughters "father" walked out of her life and we have not seen or hear from him sense. Im trying to file for abamdonment but dont have an adress for him sense last i knew he was homless at the rescue mission. We have joint legal custody and i want to try and terminate his rights. How can i when i dont know where he is

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question is not clear. If you are asking how to proceed with any litigation against the father, you are going to have to complete service. If the party cannot be found, you will have to request permission from the court to provide service in some other way after a diligent search. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.



What is complete service?


If you wish to terminate parental rights, then file in family court and ask court for guidance on service. If you are seeking a divorce, then consult with a lawyer about publication divorce.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer