Skip to main content

How do I file for an uncontested divorce in New York with little money? I'm on SSI and am broke, don't know what to do.

Middletown, NY |

We were married for almost five years, were married in Las Vegas, she is currently a resident of California, and I'm currently a resident of New York State. She can't file for financial reasons, and I need to file ASAP but my only source of income is my disability check from Social Security. Thank you for your time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You could do it yourself if you want, or you can hire an attorney that will work with you somehow.


You can go to the court clerk in the county you reside and see if they have a handbook for pro se litigants or go to the new York state office of court administration website to see about processing the divorce on your own. Good luck

I have been a criminal defense attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


Not only are the forms available online but so are very detailed instructions. This may be easiest.

The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.


You may go to the Supreme Court, Matrimonial Part to obtain the uncontested divorce packet. If the paperwork becomes too tedious or confusing for you to handle on your own, do keep in mind that there are attorneys who can represent you and take care of the paperwork/filing for you at a relatively low cost--or who are willing to work out a payment plan for you.

Feel free to call me anytime for a free telephone consulation to weigh out your options. (646) 587-0188
Leta Liou, Esq.
The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC
124 Nassau Street, Suite 2
New York, New York 10038
(646) 587-0188

Serving Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland and Orange Counties.

Answers to questions by an attorney for The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer