Skip to main content

How do I file for a no-fault, uncontested divorce in NY State without using a lawyer?

Brooklyn, NY |
Attorney answers 7


This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


You can go through the NYS E-courts system to obtain the paperwork that you need. If you would like assistance, you can review my website at My office charges a very moderate fee to prepare all of the documents and to ensure that everything is properly filed for an uncontested divorce.


Try this website:


Proceed to the Office of Court Administration (for New York State) website and drill down to the forms necessary for an uncontested divorce. You can opt to use an attorney to fashion the separation/opting out agreement if necessary. The risk is that you may not address things which will need to be addressed without consulting an attorney. Also, you will need guidance for the proper service and filing of legal papers, including filing fees. At least seek a consultation with a matrimonial attorney, since there's alway a hitch, so don't hurt yourself.


All the paperwork you need to submit an uncontested, no-fault divorce in Kings county is on the court's website at

Detailed instructions on how to fill out those forms can be found at:

All forms can be downloaded and tailored to your specific situation. If you have children, there should be a separate custody and child support agreement included. Make sure to file and buy an index number, the fee for which is $210.00. Also include an uncontested RJI and the RJI matrimonial addendum, which is required even though you will not have to go before a judge. When all paperwork is ready to be submitted, there will be an additional Note of Issue fee which is $125.00. After the papwork is submitted, it is taking Kings county any where from 5-10 months to review submissions.


Please take a look at my profile and find my article describing the procedure, which I've also checked below..


Youncan go to the Courthouse and visit the office for the self-represented which is in the ground floor of the Courthouse on Adams Street.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer