How do I file civil paperwork to dispute an asset so the vehicle cannot be driven?

Antioch, CA |

I have a note with someone in which I agreed to give them a vehicle, however I was leaving for Iraq in a rush and I did not make sure that it included my end of the bargain. It states that I was gifting the vehicle and would not relinquish it. now the other party is not holding to their end of the bargain, but insisting that the car was a gift. What do I do? I have trying taking ownership of the vehicle, however law enforcement will not help me. They claim that the note override the title that I hold solely in my name.

Your question is confusing. You have said the note says you agreed to "give" them a vehicle. I assume you mean "sell" them a vehicle? Does the note say the other party has to pay you a sum of money for the vehicle? Did you receive money for the vehicle? An attorney would need to know more about what the note says and if anyone signed it, etc. Contact an attorney who can review this for you and provide some advice. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

The pink slip is reigned supreme. If the pink slip is in your name, you have legal ownership of the vehicle. A side note agreement would have to be perfected in Court by the other party. If the police office is vetoing your pink slip by and through some sort of hand written agreement, then he is playing Judge and lawyer. He or she was not trained to do so. I believe the burden and duty is on the other party.

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Thank you or your time. however, iIt is a notarized agreement.