Skip to main content

How do I File an time extension to respond to a Summons?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

I received a Judicial Summons about 25 days ago (June 11). I know I have 30 days to respond so I have very little time. Unfortunately, I've been going through a lot of personal issues and haven't had the time to sit down and really weigh-in on my options on how to go about the situation so now I need more time to respond and perhaps seek out legal advice. Is there a particular form I could fill out and submit to the court asking for a time extension to respond?

Thank you in Advance.

I live in the state of CA by the way.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


..SORRY but no extension is given to response to summons...but an attorney can help you to answer ASAP and serve the answer within time. Some times also you can file counter claim against the plaintiff depending from the facts... There are law offices that can help you with quick and efficient response...
do not loose the time to respond

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE)*. The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.


If you do not file a responsive pleading in a timely manner, a default will be entered against you. The court cannot and will not grant you an extension.

If you are unable to attend to this matter yourself, your best bet is to retain an attorney to handle it for you. Good luck.


For your question, I am assuming you are referring to a civil summons that you received along with a complaint. If this is not the case, please disregard my advice. Once you are served, you have 30 days from the date of service to respond. If the other side will agree, however, you can get an extension of 15 days to file your response. See California Rule of Court 3.110(e). If you are not comfortable speaking with the opposing attorney, or if he/she will not agree to the continuance, I recommend you speak with an attorney to see what your options are. While you may proceed to represent yourself, I would not recommend doing so. Good luck.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


hire an attorney who handles these cases all the time to get a response on file for you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer