Skip to main content

How do I file a small claims lawsuit against someone who lives in another state?

Springfield, MO |

She lives in Yuma , AZ I recently relocated back to Missouri . I have a lot of proof that this woman , fraudulently pretended to be a male , promising me a loving life , a home with my daughter , and so much more . She also pretended to be a 16 year old gay male . She scammed me out of almost $ 7000 cash , $ 200 - 300 in PSI games and Movies as well as a $ 399 . 99 i Phone S . I have bank statements , voice recordings where she admits to lying about everything .

+ Read More

Filed under: Small claims court
Attorney answers 2


Contact your local court, as many have forms explaining small claims court and service of process.

The attached link provides the small claims statutes.

If the defendant is out of state you might have issues collecting on a Missouri small claims judgment.

Please remember to designate a helpful attorney answer. Good luck.

My comments are general in nature, are not legal advice as to your specific issue, and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.


If this did not occur in Missouri, or the defendant did not live in Missouri at the time, you can not file suit in Missouri, small claims court or otherwise. Even if all occurred in Missouri, the claim of $7,000 exceeds the jurisdiction of the small claims court in Greene County. You must hire an attorney to file suit in Circuit Court or Associate Circuit Court and will not be able to use small claims court.

If the conduct did not occur in Missouri, you must file suit in Arizona

This comment does not create an attorney-client relationship. The law and its application by the courts is constantly evolving and changing. This discussion is not to be taken as a definitive guide, and should not be relied upon to determine all fact situations. Each set of facts must be examined separately with the current case and statutory law analyzed and applied accordingly.