Skip to main content

How do I file a significant recusal of a judge? I have significant reasons but I am afraid that my efforts may fall short

Jamaica, NY |

Queens County

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

A recusal motion is something that has to be handled with great care: if you lose, you'll be before the judge you tried to get removed and about whom you presumably said some fairly negative things. You should consult with a local attorney who knows and practices before the judge regularly.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


I was a prosecutor in Queens and will be there tomorrow defending a criminal case. Your lawyer can file a written motion backed up with both facts and case law. It is very hard to get a Judge to recuse him/herself. Many lawyers are afraid to file these motions for fear of angering the Judges. If you really have the goods you need a lawyer who will not be afraid to fight for you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Very difficult to do. Might want to rethink your approach.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer