Skip to main content

How do I file a money judgment without a lawyer ?

Saint Clair Shores, MI |

property settlement since 2008 from divorce and amount is $ 3 , 025 . 00

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your question raises questions. First a divorce judgment governs. Does your judgment specify the amount that is owed? If so, then you can take steps with the court to enforce the judgment including any amounts owed. Talk to an attorney for more advice and information. Good luck to you.
Henry Gornbein


File a show cause in the court where the divorce was granted to enforce the judgment. You would be wise to engage as attorney to assist yourself. Call my offices or another attorney of your choice for counsel and an appointment. l

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .


A simple show cause hearing will likely show she is in default, hold her in contempt, and give her a set time period in which to pay. An attorney can assist you in drafting the right documents, ensuring procedural requirements are met, and conducting the hearing.


If the provision for $3,025 is contained in your divorce judgment, you already have a money judgment. Now the question is, how do you enforce the judgment.

I understand that you are not dealing with a lot of money and you would prefer to not pay it all to another attorney. That said, it may be in your best interests to consult either with the lawyer help your divorce or another lawyer so that you can learn some of the things that will help you to be successful in court.

Not that you asked, but it interest can be awarded, at the discretion of the judge, on payments that are overdue and that are owed pursuant to a judgment.

It if I can be of further assistance, please call me at (810) 664-1388.

The best of luck to you.

Peter Conway

I am licensed to practice law in Michigan and Virginia and regularly handle cases of this sort. You should not rely on this answer. You should consult a lawyer so you can tell the lawyer the entire situation and get legal advice that is precisely tailored to your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer