Skip to main content

How do I file a lien on my employer for non payment of wages ?

Simla, CO |

the owner of a café in Simla still owes back wages to me from back on sept 1st to nov 6th he is trying to sell the café then he says he will pay, I don't trust him, can I file a lien on the café ? if so where do I get the forms.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Contact the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment (303) 318-8441 or 1-888-390-7936, or visit their website's complaint page at Good luck!


Contact the Colorado Dept of Labor. Mechanics Liens are generally limited to those who improve real property if that was what you were considering. Consult with a licensed Colorado employment lawyer if you decide to pursue a claim for unpaid wages.

Not legal advice / No lawyer/client relationship.


I am unaware of any mechanism for / law permitting a lien against an employer for back wages.


You would have to sue and obtain a judgment against the employer. Once you have that, you can record the judgment as a lien against the property. It is also theoretically possible to file for a prejudgment attachment to freeze the asset prior to getting a judgment, but the standard is very very high. You essentially cannot get the court to authorize that unless you have evidence (not just a suspicion) that the defendant is planning to abscond with the money without paying the debt.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC by phone or email. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer