Skip to main content

How do I file a lien on commercial property I worked on and only got a partial payment of the contract. Work in Ms, live in Tx

Jackson, MS |

I worked on two different projects, in Ms. I had a signed contract, with a contractor to perform the work. I did the work, per the contract and even performed more than 100% of te work we were to do but did not get paid in full. We did two separate project, at the same time but did not get paid 100% on either one. One project was in Jackson, Ms, and the other one was in Ridgeland, Ms. The work performed was millwork, trim, and steel work.We did all the millwork and steel prep wor at my shop in Tx. Our time on the projects were also 4 times longer than scheduled, because of the contractors scheduling and not having materials on the projects.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


What you describe is known as breach of contract. There may be other equitable claims and/or statutory claims that can be asserted, such as the lien that you describe. However, the remedies available to you depend upon the terms of the contract and many other factors. If you have lost a significant amount of money, then you should seriously consider hiring an attorney licensed in Mississippi.

Disclaimer: This answer is strictly for informational purposes, and should not be considered legal advice.


A material supplier to the contractor - which you appear to be - has a right to file a construction lien on the property (for which they supplied materials) after providing written notice to the property owner pursuant to MS Code Section 85-7-181. I wouldn't recommend that you try to file a lien without an attorney; however, you could try after consulting the above-referenced statute.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer