Skip to main content

How do I file a charge against someone for perjury in court?

Mason City, IA |

2 individuals told a few lies in court. 1 of whom told 2 lies that I can now prove were knowingly false, and the other told 1 lie that I can prove was knowingly false. I would like to file charges for perjury. I have gone to the County Attorney office and was told to file a police report. I went to the Police Department and was told to go to the County Attorney, and I repeated the cycle one more time. Can I write an affidavit myself and submit it to the magistrate?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


No you cannot write a affidavit, you can fill one out and submit it to law enforcement.

Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one. We do this all the time, but remember that our time is valuable and you should stay with the people who help you the most.



Thank you. I have tried that twice now and the officer and his shift commander both insist that they cannot file the charges and that they have never heard of a police officer filing charges for something that happened in court. I tried to explain to him that perjury is a criminal matter, not a civil matter. I live in Iowa, so I'm not sure if the laws here are the same as in Nebraska, I imagine pretty close to the same for perjury.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer