Skip to main content

How do I fight the system to get my son the free and appropriate education he deserves without being bullied?

Avondale, AZ |

I am a parent of a child with special needs and I am seriously being railroaded by the school district. They have previously violated some of my parents rights over the last school year and are now trying to force my son into a high school that is not in his best interest. The district folks have contradicted themselves and are now going against everything that we spoke about last school year. Their rationale for what and why they are doing ewhat they do is not acceptable. I had an advocate attend a meeting with me last school year over a violation that I lost on. I no longer can have them lie and not respect my parent and my son's rights. I believe that we need legal representation to fight the district to ensure my son gets what he deserves and is in his best interest.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Hire an attorney who specializes in special education law. You can find one through the COPAA directory. You will probably need to file for a due process hearing and have your advocate appear as a witness.


You can file a complaint with the state education agency, and you do not need a lawyer for that. You can also file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Education (and if school lunches are involved, the Office of Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Agriculture). You do not need a lawyer for that either. You can request a due process hearing. I recommend that you have both an attorney and experts for that process. It could be you need a different advocate to assist you in dealing with the school. You should go to for assistance in finding an advocate (or lawyer). Additionally, at you will find a link to the yellow pages for kids that will have contact information for you. You should also review the extensive information at to understand fully your rights, and how to question the actions the school is taking.