How do I exercise my parenting time rights in Georgia, if the Grandparent is denying me access to my child?

Mableton, GA |

I am a mother of 4 boys, I lost custody of my 3 oldest due to being a single mom, and I used to dance to support my kids and myself, , always took care of my children but my kids father and his mother thought that they was better with them than me. They was not in my kids life until they got Social Services involved. I lost custody of my children because the judge told me I was not fit to raise my children which I've doing it alone for a long time. I pay Child Support, I can't see them, the grandmother will not let me see them, when I'm suppose to have my visitations, I'm desperate I want to regain custody, but the law did me so wrong and I'm afraid that I will not ever get to have my children back. Please Help

If you are allowed to exercise visitation time with your children, and the person with custody is unreasonably denying access to you for the visitation, you may consider filing a motion for contempt with the court that granted the custodial transfer. I advise hiring a family law attorney who can properly advise on the various options. Good luck.

If you have a scheduled time to visit with your children but the grandmother is preventing your visitation, you need to go forward with a modification of custody and visitation. Get supervised visits, if need be, or more.

I always find the viewpoint that lets someone judge a parent more harshly because of their work to be fascinatingly ignorant. Wrong is wrong is wrong. This IS wrong - do something about it!

The information contained in this electronic communication and any documents or other files attached to and accompanying this transmission may contain information that is legally protected, including legally-privileged attorney-client confidential communications. The information contained in this electronic communication and any attachments thereto are intended only for the express attention of the recipient named above. The authorized recipient so identified is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless expressly permitted to do so by law or regulation. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic communication, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited, and may give rise to legal sanctions. If you have received this information in error, please immediately notify Merlinus Monroe at 678-450-9743 and take action for the return or destruction of this communication. The website of Merlinus Goodman Monroe, LLC, and the receipt or use of information contained therein or accessed thereby is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, nor does the act of sending an email to Merlinus Monroe or soliciting his opinion without a binding Attorney- Client Agreement in place create an attorney-client relationship. Users of this site should not act or refrain from acting based upon information obtained from the website without also seeking professional counsel and legal representation regarding the specific facts and circumstances at issue in their individual case. This user does not accept, nor may this e-mail address be used for, electronic transmission of service of pleadings or process. All pleadings and process must be served physically, by either personal service or by mail delivered to Post Office Box 2686, Gainesville, Georgia 30503.

If the current custody order (the order that granted custody to the father) provided you with a schedule for visitation, then you are entitled to that visitation. If either the father or the paternal grandmother fail to adhere to the terms of the custody order, that individual may potentially be in contempt of the court order.

You should consider speaking with a family law attorney to discuss your options. Even if you do not attempt to regain custody, you have the right to enforce your visitation.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

There are so many additional questions that need to be answered. Were you married to the father? Who has custody, the father or the grandparents? What court gave him/them custody, juvenile court or superior court. What county do they live in? As the other people have recommended, you need to speak with a family law attorney. Our office offers a free initial consultation if you would like to come in and meet with one of our attorneys. Feel free to check us out at www.he-law.com.