Skip to main content

How do I evict a person living in my rental property who is not on the lease agreement?

Glendale, AZ |

I bought my mother-in-law's house last year and am leasing it back to her. She has a boyfriend living with her that she no longer wants there. He is not on the lease agreement as a tenant. How can I get him out of my house? Does he have any tenant rights even though he is not on the lease?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Based on what you have told us, he has no rights. File an eviction action.


Sounds like he may be criminally trespassing, esp. if he was a guest that has overstayed his welcome and now refuses to leave. Not on lease, not invited, not paying rent (I assume) - an eviction could also be appropriate. If he's harassing or scaring her, an OOP or IAH is another way to go. If your mother-in-law is an elderly or vulnerable adult, and the BF is taking advantage of that situation, Adult Protective Services is another path.

Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.


I would serve him with a notice to vacate and the file a complaint for forcible detainer (eviction). Be prepared to obtain an order of protection if the boyfriend gets hostile.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.