Skip to main content

How do I evict a non-rent paying friend?

Bridgeport, CT |

I've been helping my friends out for about 7 months by letting them stay at my apartment rent free. They said they were going to get jobs so they can get there own place. I haven't seen any effort of this and I want my privacy back.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You do not have a non-rent paying friend. A friend would leave when asked. You have deadbeat tenants. Treat them the way a tenant is treated. Give them 30 day notice of termination of tenancy and file an eviction suit if they are not gone. By the way, once you serve the notice the friendship is over.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.