Skip to main content

How do I enforce my divorce decree without spending thousands of dollars by going to court again?

Derry, NH |

I am tired of forking out all this money to my lawyer and receiving nothing in return. What can I do? Isn't my ex-husband in contempt of court?

I have a divorce decree which states my ex-husband has to pay child support. He paid it until the day I got married and then stopped. That was 2 years ago. My lawyer told me we would have to go to court to enforce it, so we did.

The judge ordered us to go to mediation, we went, and he was still ordered to pay child support. When we left mediation, my ex looked right at me and told me he is not paying me a penny. When I asked my lawyer how I could force my husband to pay, he said we would have to go back to mediation.

My ex has no respect for the judicial system and will not change. We are the only source of support for our daughter.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Contact the NH Division of Child Support Services. They can assist with collections, including garnishing wages and taking away his license. I have included a link below.

Disclaimer: This response is offered for educational purpose only. This response in no way creates an attorney-client relationship between Anna Goulet Zimmerman/Law Office of Manning & Zimmerman, PLLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided, and could be different if additional facts were known.


Take him back to court and ask the court to award you attorney's fees.


If the court awarded you support a second time after mediation, I would think a contempt hearing is the next step. The court can find him in contempt and award you attorneys fees and costs. I recommend you retain an attorney and file a Motion for Contempt.


If you're not satisfied with your current attorney, contact a different NH attorney to help advise you on how to ensure the divorce decree is upheld. Often, many NH residents find their initial attorney is not the best fit. Please review these FAQs and contact me if I may be of further asssistance:


I agree with Anna. If you are not looking to spend more money with an attorney, you should start by contacting the NH Division of Child Support Services. This is a state agency that assists people in obtaining their Child Support payments. They can seek an immediate wage assignment on the monthly amount. They can also set up a payment plan on the outstanding amounts owed and possibly add that to the wage assignment. This mandates that his employer pay you directly before he even gets his pay check. If he is in an employment situation where a wage assignment can't be utilized, they can seek a contempt finding against him, and he may face loss of his driver's license or possible incarceration.

Failing their assistance, I would recommend that you speak to an experienced Family Law Attorney about your options and the possible costs of moving forward. There may be attorneys that can assist you by offering a low flat fee or limited services to keep your costs down.

DISCLAIMER The information contained in the Family Legal Services, P.C. (herein referred to as A FAMILYLEGAL @ or the AFirm@) Web site is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject material. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue with an attorney licensed in the recipient=s state. The content of this Web site contains information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. FAMILYLEGAL expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this site. Any information sent to FAMILYLEGAL via Internet, e-mail or through the FAMILYLEGAL Web site is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. The transmission of information on the FAMILYLEGAL site, in part or in whole, and/or communication with FAMILYLEGAL via e-mail through this site does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship between FAMILYLEGAL and any recipients. The formation of an attorney-client relationship requires a consideration of multiple factors including possible conflicts of interest. Please do not convey to us any information you regard as confidential until a formal attorney-client relationship has been established. The Firm does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party that may be accessed through this Web site. Permission is given for the downloading and temporary storage of one or more of these pages for the purposes of viewing on a personal computer. The contents of this site are protected by copyright and, apart from the permission stated, the reproduction, permanent storage, or retransmission of the contents of this site is prohibited without the prior written consent of FAMILYLEGAL. ATTORNEY ADVERTISING NOTICE FAMILYLEGAL is a regional legal services advertising and law firm management company. Jeffrey A. Runge is the President/CEO and is not licensed to practice in the states of Maine or Rhode Island. The Resident Partner in the state of Maine is Lynne Rocheleau. The Resident Partner in the state of Rhode Island is Sarah Rotz. Matter are handled by Attorneys who are licensed, or otherwise permitted, to practice law in the geographical areas and states services by FAMILYLEGAL. The Resident Partners and Attorneys affiliated with FAMILYLEGAL are experienced independent contractor attorneys. The Firm may have more than one Attorney work on any particular matter at its sole discretion. Prior Results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Price savings advertised are determined when compared to full price services in the same geographical area. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for Bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. The representation of being the “largest consumer Bankruptcy provider in New England” is based upon the independent Report issued by 722 Redemption Funding Quarterly report and/or the number of affiliated attorneys and/or the number of office locations. FAMILYLEGAL is a registered trademark of Family Legal Service, P.C., a New Hampshire professional Corporation. The contents of this Web site may contain attorney advertising under the laws of various states. If you have any questions concerning attorney advertising rules, please contact: Jeffrey A. Runge President/CEO FAMILYLEGAL 141 Airport Road Concord, NH 03301 Tel: 1.603.225.1114 Fax: 1.603.225.9993 ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE Experience described on some attorney biographies on this Web site may date from a time prior to when an individual lawyer joined FAMILYLEGAL.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer