Skip to main content

How do I enforce a settlement agreement?

Long Beach, CA |

I recently sued my former employer and the case was settled at the settlement conference. The employer paid the first two payments but has not paid the last two. What options do I have?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Bring a motion to the judge to enforce the settlement agreement.


You can obtain a Writ of Execution and lien the employer's bank accounts and/or garnish his wages. Look at the settlement agreement, there may be a provision for attorney fees in the event enforcement is necessary. In that case, you might want to find an attorney wiling to take on the enforcement part of this matter. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.


Much depends on the status of your paper.

If you have a settlement agreement, but the action was dismissed as a result (i.e., there's no judgment), then all you can do is sue to enforce the agreement.

If you actually have a judgment, then all the tools available for enforcing a judgment (such as attaching a bank account) are available to you.

Without looking at your papers, there's no way to specifically advise you. I suggest you meet with an attorney for an hour to see what rights and remedies you have.

Antoinette Cara Liewen

Antoinette Cara Liewen


Great point, Mr. Perry. I made the assumption that a Judgment was entered. If there is a Stipulation for Entry of Judgment and a default in the terms, then normally the Judgment can be entered against the defaulting party. The questioner should have all the documents reviewed by an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer