Skip to main content

How do I e-verify the legal immigration or work status of someone in the U.S?

Los Angeles, CA |

I've a small business and I employ two people. I want to hire one more person and need to e-verify his legal status to ensure he has proper immigration documents . How can I do it? And what documents do I need to obtain from him to get this done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The e-verify system is still far from being perfect and unless you are required to use this system (government contractor, etc.), I would think twice before doing so, as it is not fully reliable yet and is full of glitches.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Use the I-9 process and you have satisfied the Federal Requirements. Once you start e-verify, you have to do it for all new hires.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
Morales PLLC

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For more information please contact us at


Please watch the following video.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.