Skip to main content

How do I dismiss my attorney?

Boston, MA |

The Judge didn't allow us to pro-se and denied our lawyer's withdraw. Ever since then, we have been dealing with a nightmare legal wise. Our attorney missed all of the deadlines and kept demanding for payments. It also has come to the point where I had to draft a joint pre-trial statement. She told me that she doesn't recieve pay in advance, then she will not do the work, and, even after I paid her a couple days ago, she called me to say that it is too late but she could've done a much better job on a joint pre-trial statement and that if I fire her, the Judge is going to be very upset. I don't want to make the Judge upset, but since she refusing to provide any advice or services, I don't know what else to do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


My guess is that the judge wants to be sure you're represented by counsel. If you hire another lawyer, that lawyer can file her appearance and ask your current lawyer to withdraw.

Alternately, you could just pay your lawyer in advance.

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.


I suppose I am too easy-going about payment, but I find this attorney's conduct very questionable in light of the fact that the judge denied her withdrawal and is keeping her in the case. That indeed was a signal from the judge that he/she wants you to be represented in the case, thinking it to be in your best interests. So, find another lawyer. That lawyer can then arrange to get the file from your current attorney and the judge will allow her to withdraw when knowing a new attorney is stepping in.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer