Skip to main content

How do I determine tax deductions for self employment in regards to Child Support Financial Affidavit?

Leesburg, FL |

Self employed (contracted) gross income is $3250 monthly. Married, Head of household, & would typically claim 1. I assume this is needed to calculate net income for purposes of modifying child support monthly obligations.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You may want to repost this as a tax law question or talk to a tax attorney or CPA as it falls more in that area than labor/employment law.

An attorney-client relationship is NOT created by the answering of this question. If you would like to discuss your matter more fully with my office, please contact me to set up an initial consultation.


Have you filed a tax return reporting self employment income? What does your schedule C say? Do you use accounting software like QuickBooks? If you use QuickBooks, and properly enter income and business expenses you can generate profit an loss statements for any period. Your income is your gross receipts less the cost of goods sold (if any) and other business expenses which could include rent, utilities insurance, office supplies travel expenses vehicle expenses and any reasonable and necessary business expenses. You should not go into a child support hearing without a lawyer.



This is actually a new job with only a month of history... which is why child support needs to be modified. Sorry I was not clear. There are rarely any deductions. Personal vehicle expenses to drive to and from work but that's it. I rather not go into a hearing without a lawyer but unfortunately I can't afford one (being a single mom of 5) and legal aide has no interest. I appreciate your feedback! Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer