Skip to main content

How do I deal with a Petitioner's First Interrogatories Propounded to Respondent?

Saint James, MO |

My wife's attorney says that I must answer all questions in a certain length of time. He will not specify what the length of time is. I also need to return a copy to him and file a copy with the court, which I have no idea how to do.

He says that if I don't have the questions he sent me answered and returned to him in the unspecified time, I will not be allowed to appear at my divorce hearing and will be barred from the courtroom. He also tells me that I am not allowed to ask my wife any questions in return.

The system will not allow me to have an attorney, so that is out of the question. I’m being forced to be my own attorney, but would probably do better at brain surgery.

I have no money, no way to get any, and no assets that I could sell. Legal aid refuses to help me. Am I just screwed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

It seems like you're being bullied by your wife's attorney and it is unfortunate that legal aid will not assist you.

I am not sure about the laws in MO, but I can tell you that in FL you have 30 calendar days from the day you are served with the interrogatories to answer them. You send the answers to your wife's attorney and file a notice with the court advising them that you have responded to the interrogatories. You do not file the responses with the court. You do have a right to send her interrogatories as well, and she too will have 30 days to respond to them.

Good luck!



Thank you for clarifying this for me. Now, I know!


I agree with the previous answer, but I wanted to add if you want to find an attorney pro bono or for reduced fees, you can always see if a local law school has a legal aid clinic or a student interning with a family law attorney. Additionally, if you are a member of a church, synagogue, or other place of worship, perhaps they can offer some assistance too.

Best of luck, and I hope this is the BEST ANSWER as far as how to try to get legal representation.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX



Attorney Williams gives an excellent reply, too. Unfortunately, however, in my case, there are no such places in my area where I can seek legal representation.