Skip to main content

How do i claim taxes by being a self employed housekeeper

Brooklyn, NY |

im 33yrs. old & in school part time. I also clean peoples houses to get some extra cash. How can i claim this & what proof will i need to provide to the IRS ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You declare the income that you earned, and subtract from that your expenses. Additionally, you pay both halves off the self employment tax. I don't think the IRS will require too much proof. For starters, they will be so stunned that a part time house cleaner actually declared income and filed taxes, they'll believe pretty much anything you show them. Its not like they'll have any other tax returns from self employed housekeepers to compare yours with. I congratulate you on your integrity.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -



Wow ! thank you so much for your kind words. & you were very helpful thank you

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold


I strongly suspect that when they see a return marked "self -employed housekeeper" it will be framed and put on someone's wall.


You won't need proof to claim the income - just report whatever you earned. You'll also want to reflect the expenses you incurred in earning the income - that's where you'll want to proof - bank statements, credit card reciepts, etc. Save them for 4 years to be safe.

Good luck.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.