Skip to main content

How do I change the title for my deceased grandmother's mobile home to mine if she didn't leave it to anybody in her will?

Mesa, AZ |

I was living here when she passed away a few years ago. I payed the mortgage off last year. She has four children; my mom and three uncles. They are all willing to sign it over to me without cost. It wasn't in her will. It's a mobile home and property.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

I am curious to know how you were able to get information to pay off the mortgage in your grandmother's name alone. However, if it is paid off, you should have received a release of lien from the lienholder.
Since there was a Will, any assets not specifically devised would pass through the residuary, as stated earlier. However, if the net value (defined below) of the mobile home does not exceed $50,000.00, you may be able to clear the title from your grandmother's name through an Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property. But title should pass to the devisees (her children, I suspect) and they can then convey to you. If the net value (market value minus any liens or encumbrances) of the home as of the date of your grandmother's death exceeds fifty thousand dollars, the home will need to be probated in order to clear title.


If there is a valid will, the executor should be the one passing title. Usually items which are not specifically designated pass through the residuary.