Skip to main content

How do I change my name with SSI Office after divorce?

Chicago, IL |

I just got a divorce granted by the judge and he signed the order judgment where i can go back to use my maiden name. I have that order signed by the judge but the people at the SSI said i need someone with affix seal. What is that and can someone elxplain what I need and how to get it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need a certified copy of the divorce decree. Go to the clerk's office to get that. Usually there is a fee to get a certified copy.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


The only "seal" available to you is a certification by the clerk of the circuit court. If you are in Cook County, go to the Daley Center, 50 W. Washington. The clerk's office for the Domestic Relations Division is on the 8th floor.

Bring an extra copy of the judgment showing that you have leave to return to your maiden name.
They will charge you about $10 to certify the copy. Take the certified copy to Social Security.


An affixed seal is a certified copy of the divorce order. Go to the clerk's office and ask for a certified copy of your order. There is a cost associated. When you got to the clerk's office, have your case number which will help them find your order more quickly. They will give you a copy with a raised seal it's usually also in red and will say "certified copy etc..."

Communication with an attorney does not by itself create an attorney/client relationship or constitute provision or receipt of legal advice. Any communication with an attorney should be considered informational use only, and should not be relied upon or acted upon until a formal attorney/client relationship is established via a written agreement.