Skip to main content

How do I change my name back to my maiden name?

Konawa, OK |

I was divorced in Texas and now live in Oklahoma. I want to change my name back to my maiden name. My divorce decree does not state anything about restoration of my name.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If the divorce decree does not state it, then you will probably have to apply to the court for a name change.
Each stage has its own rules for doing so, but in NJ you file a complaint, and publish in a local paper your intention. Then there is a court hearing because the judge wants to make certain you are not doing it to avoid debts or criminal charges. Once you have the court order, you send copies to Social Security, your state's DMV, etc. You can do it pro se or hire a lawyer to walk you through the process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer