Skip to main content

How do I change my first name as F - 1 student after marriage to us citizen ? Should I do it before or after filling AOS ?

Deerfield Beach, FL |

I'm an international student f - 1 and got married to a U . S citizen . Now we are planning to file adjustment of status . I want to take his last name and also change my first name . I don't know if I should do it before filling paperwork or after . For changing my last name , do I have to go through a specific procedure or can I just put his last name as my last name in all my immigration paperwork and send it out to USCIS ?

Do I have to go through court to get my first name change with an original copy of birth certificate from my country or can I use a photocopy.?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Go ahead and change your name to his name. The marriage is all that is needed to allow a wife to change her name to her husband's name. If you have any other concerns with the process, I strongly recommend that you consider retaining a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Perhaps, an appointment will help you best understand marriage visa processing. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Change your name on all your immigration paperwork, and once you get your employment authorization card, go and get a social security under your new name. Next, go and have a sate ID or drover's license issued under your new last name.

Appear with all these 3 documents at your AOS interview. The name on your national passport won't matter. You will get a green card under your married last name.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



Thank your for your response. So can I just put the new FIRST name that I want along with my husband last name in AOS forms without going through court? Obviously I will list my maiden name and previous name in the paperwork as well so I think they will know it is the same person. Will this complicate my process? I want people to call my English name. My national name is too hard for people to pronounce and I don't want it appear on my working permit

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


Yes. No, that will not "complicate" the process. Don't forget to designate a "Helpful", as well as "Best Answer" to this question.


I agree with my colleagues. Once you are married, you can legally change your name and apply for Adjustment of Status under the married name.

Azam | Snytkin, P.A., 407-571-6926 DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer