Skip to main content

How do I change jurisdiction in a child custody matter from Maryland to California?

San Diego, CA |

I currently reside in California with my 2 year old daughter where we have lived for almost a year now. Her father lives in Maryland where jursdiction was established in October 2008. After recently going back to Maryland to attend a Parent Evaluation with my daughter's father, he was granted with a short term unsupervised visitation schedule, despite his prescription drug use and unfit living environment. After a year, the schedule will be reviewed and revised accordingly. I would like to find out how and if there is a way to change jurisdiction from Maryland to California.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This is a complicated situation, especially considering there are current orders and you went back to Maryland to attend court. You need to contact a family law attorney in your area to discuss this issue. You have established the 6 month residency requirement for what is referred to as "home state" jurisdiction, but there are more factors for a court to consider. Both courts will likely have to talk about the circumstances, and Maryland may not want to relinquish jurisdiction, which is why you need tot alk to an attorney.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer