Skip to main content

How do I change dependency status on filed taxes?

Philadelphia, PA |

My parent's accountant didn't file me as a dependent and now my college won't give me the tuition break. Can I go back and change my dependency status if the taxes were already filed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your parents would have to amend their return for that year and claim you as a dependent. It isn't something you can initiate. The exemption belongs to your parents if they qualify to take it.

Christopher Larson
Insight Law


If you are a dependent of someone (your parents), you cannot change the situation on his/her behalf. Ask your parents to amend their tax return. My recommendation is to work side by side with your CPA.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


I agree with the responses of both of the other attorneys. You cannot amend your parent's tax returns...they would need to do it.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on. You should consult an attorney who practices in the relevant area of the relevant jurisdiction.