Skip to main content

How do I calculate household size for I-864 ?

Chicopee, MA |

My mother-in-law is my joint sponsor, because my wife currently is not working. I need to know how to calculate household size because my mother-in-law lives with my sister-in-law. My sister-in-law does not economically depend upon her, because she's receiving disability benefits. She is 46 and unmarried. Do I still include her in household side for I-864 affidavit of support? My wife also has to fill out an I-864. Do I still need to be in her household size as well, even though she is not my joint sponsor?

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

No, unless your mother in law lists her as a dependent. You are in your wife's household as well. If you have a joint sponsor, your wife's income doesn't really matter. But she still needs to prepare an affidavit of support.


I usually look around the breakfast table and count heads. I will transfer you into the Immigration Section in case they have a more exact method.

We offer general concepts, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.


The form itself tells you who gets counted.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.