Skip to main content

How do I become an executor long after California estate was probated and closed?

Seattle, WA |

I want to obtain a genealogical photocopy of my uncle's birth certificate from Canada. To do this, I must be the legal representative of my uncle's estate. His estate was probated from 1990 and closed by the court in 1995 in California. The lawyer who was executor is retired and incapacitated, and he is unable to help me. My uncle has no other surviving next of kin but me. How can I become his estate representative at this point?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You may be able to sign an affidavit with the Canadian Registrar, and not obtain Probate Letters of Administration or Letters Testamentary if you can prove you are next of kin. If the Canadian Registrar requires Letters Testamentary you should seek a California Attorney to reopen the probate and have yourself appointed.


It is likly that nohting can be done. a lot of time has passed. if you think something is fishy you should talk to a lawyer, one never knows.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.