Skip to main content

How do I become administrator of my brother's estate? Is there a time limit on doing so?

Atlanta, GA |

He passed away a year ago. I was told he had a will but have not been able to locate it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you can not find the will, then In order to become the Administrator of your brother's estate you need to fill out the necessary forms regarding the application for Letters of Administration and file them with the county probate court. Please feel free to contact me for a free consultation and I can go over the process in more detail. I can be reached at 770-420-8448.


When a person dies without a will, then the next of kin must petition the court or go to the register of wills to obtain letters of administration. Once you have received letters of administration, you can then act for the estate. This will allow you to transfer the real estate and other assets of the decedent in accordance with the laws of intestate succession of the state of the decedent. You need to retain an estates lawyer to assist you or at least call the register of wills in the county in question to get more information about their procedures for obtaining letters of administration.
As to his will, you may want to look over his check register for the last few years to see if he paid any attorneys. They may have the will. Also, check with his banks to see if he had a safe deposit box that may contain the will.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is listed below.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


You will need to complete and file a Petition for Letters of Administration with the Probate Court in the County where he resided at the time of his death. This form is available at It is form #3.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer